It wasn't a planned thing. I just haven't been able to muster up enthusiasm to write at the end of the day.

I have a new job down at Fort Lewis that has me traveling a little farther and, more significantly for here, keeps me without intarweb access for the duration of my work and travel day. No chance to write anything until I get home around 1500 or 1600, and my charming son and heir (not to mention my wonderful wife) claim my attention then. Computer time I do get is often, I must admit, squandered pointlessly on video games. But it's not so much time as you might think, so I don't really feel too guilty about it.

If you follow the Sig's Reader block, you know that I have been reading and marking things of interest; I just haven't been writing much myself. A lot is going on that I'm interested in, but not so much that I feel qualified to comment on, and it's easy to fall into the temptation of "well, such and such said it better than I could anyway, so my input is not really needed here." That is occasionally true. However, sometimes my rather different perspective can be of use, so I ought to throw it out there once in a while.

What sort of workplace has no intarweb access all day long, you ask? The same sort that requires you to empty out your bags on a table before you enter or exit, every single time--a process I think of as "Security Gate Show and Tell." Enough said.

My son is now three months and some change old. He smiles and laughs a fair bit. He tolerates my presence and even seems to draw some positive feeling from being held by me; occasionally I can pick him up while he is screaming and he'll calm down right away, which I suspects tends to annoy his mother. He's growing by leaps and bounds. He's still pretty even-tempered except when hungry or tired or needing to be changed--you can usually tell which of those it is. Screaming just for the sake of the sound of his own voice is a phase that is still somewhere in the future.

I recently fasted for a week with a friend of mine, who is still going strong, albeit solo. Nothing but water, some apple juice, and occasional decaf coffee (because it's just not a weekend without coffee). It was awesome, and a neat opportunity to grow closer to God and really take stock of myself--it's amazing how much time you free up when you don't eat. Definitely going to do it again, and for longer, but I had to start getting some fuel so I could train up for a PT test (which yes, I passed).

Other stuff is going on in my life, and work is interesting but very off limits, so I'm not sure what I'll write about. But I'd best think of something. There is some old stuff still sitting on the front page.

Note to self: need to review some of the books I've been reading, including two that everyone should read and know. First, Marcus Luttrell's Lone Survivor, and second, The Zombie Survival Guide. One will tell you an amazing story of self-sacrifice and the bonds of brotherhood in war; the other will keep your brain safely inside your skull when the dead walk the earth. I read both on the flight back from Florida.

Oh man. I have got to talk about Florida.




I bought Lone Survivor the day it came out and read it on a plane to Middlebury last summer - I still recommend it to anyone who asks for book ideas. It's up there with One Bullet Away as one of my favorite books ever.


I have tried fasting but I tend to get sick after 24-30 hours. Mind you I am taking in water only but I still would like to go longer. You are correct in both the time used to consume food and the closeness with God. Very correct.

Missed your posts the past few weeks but "a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do". BTW, junior has to go back to the ME...this time Northern Iraq. Oh, yeah...I am not thrilled at all.

Make sure you take lots of pics and video of the Siglet. They grow mucho rapido and before you know it, they are in college. I wished I would have had a digital camera when Junior was little.


El Gee